Peanut Butter and Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins

Each month at our all staff meeting, someone volunteers to bring a snack for everyone at the meeting. Today, April 3rd, it was my turn to bring a snack to share with my coworkers. I had no idea what to bring. The meetings are at 9am, so I wanted to bring some sort of breakfast food, but I did not want to get to work early to reheat something before the meeting and I certainly did not want to get up early and cook something before work. I settled on muffins. But I could not bring myself to make regular, everyday muffins, so I did some internet research and came up with two great ideas. The first, is below, for the second, please visit Pumpkin Quinoa Muffins (Gluten Free).
******

I found this recipe at Butter Baking, but tweaked it a bit. Below are the changes I made.

  • I used whole wheat flour instead of plain flour -- I never use plain flour and everything always tastes amazing.
  • I used almond meal instead of wholemeal flour -- I wanted to make it a bit healthier, and I think this did the trick.
  • I used 3 frozen bananas instead of 2 ripe bananas -- in my experience frozen bananas lose some of their flavor and I did not have ripe bananas on hand. If you do not have either frozen or ripe bananas, you can use under ripe bananas, just make sure to use 3 of them.
  • I used plain non-fat Greek yogurt instead of regular plain Greek yogurt -- Greek yogurt is the new "in" thing with cooking. This was my first time using it and it is pretty great. But, I do think that regular plain yogurt would do much of the same thing.
  • I doubled the cinnamon -- I just love cinnamon and wanted the flavor to really be present!
  • I left out the milk -- I did not have milk, so I left it out. Everything turned out just fine without it.
  • I did not use paper muffin cups -- I feel these are a waste of money and paper. I never use them, I just coat the muffin tin cups with olive oil before I add the batter.


Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15-20 minutes
Makes: 14 muffins

Ingredients:

  • 2 ripe bananas, mashed (use 3 bananas if using frozen or not overly ripe bananas)
  • 2/3 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
  • 1/3 cup natural peanut butter
  • 1/3 cup local honey
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
  • 3/4 cup almond meal
  • 1 teaspoon baking power
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (bittersweet chips work well too)
Directions:
  1. Preheat over to 350 degrees F.
  2. Combine bananas, Greek yogurt, peanut butter, honey, and vanilla in a bowl. Mix until blended well.
  3. Add whole wheat flour, almond meal, baking soda, baking power, sugar, salt and cinnamon, and mix until incorporated
  4. Mix in 1/2 cup of dark chocolate chips
  5. Coat muffin pan cups with olive oil
  6. Pour muffin mixture into muffin cups, filling each 2/3 full.
  7. Bake in preheated over for 15-20 minutes
  8. ENJOY!
A healthy muffin heart!
















The completed snack (minus the orange juice)! How did I do?












No comments:

Post a Comment