Wonderfully Amazing Vegetarian Tacos

Growing up tacos were probably one of my favorite meals. I have very fond memories revolving around the smell of the taco seasoning, the look and taste of melted cheese, and the texture of the crunchy tortillas, because my dad always cooked them too long.

As an adult and vegetarian of about 16 years, I still absolutely love tacos, but mine vary a great deal from the traditional tacos my mom and dad used to make. My husband and I have been perfecting the following recipe for the last couple of years. We never make them exactly the same way, but the basics are always there.
Vegetarian Tacos
Prep Time: 5-10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Serves: 2 people 

The ingredients, minus the taco seasoning.
Ingredients:

  • 2 leaves Romaine lettuce
  • 1 tomato
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 small onion
  • 1/2 bell pepper
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons of olive oil (I used Annie's Naturals Roasted Garlic Olive Oil because my husband and I love garlic, it tastes amazing, and you can get a large bottle for pretty cheap at Costco)
  • A large handful of mushrooms
  • 1/2 of a 12oz package of soy ground beef (beefless beef)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons of taco seasoning
  • 4 tortillas (I used a corn and wheat tortilla hybrid from Trader Joe's because my husband and I disagree over whether corn or wheat tortillas are best, heh)


Directions:
Prepared tomatoes and lettuce
  1. Wash your veggies
  2. Prepare your tomato and lettuce for tacos - dice tomatoes and cut lettuce into squares or strips depending on preference
  3. Shred 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese (use more if you like a lot of a cheese)
  4. Cut the 1/2 onion and the 1/2 bell pepper into 1/2 inch size pieces and saute in the 1 1/2 teaspoons of olive oil in a medium sized pan for about 2-3 minutes on medium heat, until the onions begin to look translucent.
  5. Mince the mushrooms and add to the onion and bell pepper and cook for an additional 2 minutes
  6. Add the 1/2 package of the beefless beef and 1 1/2 teaspoons of taco seasoning and cook until warm, about 3-5 minutes on low heat - use low heat and use this time to heat the tortillas up while it cooks
  7. Heat a large pan over medium heat. Add one tortilla and heat for about 30 - 45 seconds and flip it over and heat for additional 30 seconds. Repeat for each of the 4 tortillas.
  8. Put your tacos together and ENJOY!

2 comments:

  1. Have you tried making your own taco seasoning?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have thought about it many times, but usually after I have already started cooking the tacos. I even have a good recipe for doing so and have almost all the ingredients. Now I have to try it! :)

    ReplyDelete