Kitchen Table Redo: Part Two and Three Quarters - Painting Tips

Okay, I finally finished painting the table and chairs! It took forever, but it is done and now I get to move on to the finishing acrylic coats! WOOHOO!
(Sorry for the dark picture. I promise when it is
completely finished, I will take a nice bright picture!)


Of course, that is tomorrow's task, tonight I just wanted to provide some very quick and easy furniture painting tips that I learned with this venture. Hopefully they will help you keep from making the silly mistakes I made.









Quick Painting Tips:
  1. Always start with the underside of the furniture. In other words, turn the piece of furniture upside down and paint that side first. If you can paint looking down, as opposed to up and at an angle, you are going to save yourself from a ton a neck and back pain. 
  2. If you are painting cylinder type surfaces, such as table legs, chair legs, or the posts on the back of the chair, do not paint up and down. Paint side to side, or rather going around the surface. (Refer to the images below for an example of what I mean) It spreads the paint easier and leaves less brush marks.
  3. Always try to follow the wood grain. For some reason this has been ingrained in my brain since I was a child, and I have found it to be completely true.
  4. If you can, always paint up. Except on the cylinder type surfaces mentioned in #2. I tried to paint up on those and it was not pretty.
  5. This one really has less to do with painting and more to do with comfort and cleanliness. Always keep a beverage handy. It is really awful to be in the middle of painting, get thirsty, and have to carefully go in the house to quench your thirst, only to accidentally get paint on the counter or on a cup. Which reminds me, make sure the beverage is in an old cup, or a disposable cup, that way if you do get paint on it you will not be upset with yourself.
  6. Have a good time. Crank up the music, grab a beer or some tea, and enjoy the process at hand.


The RIGHT way to paint
cylinder type surfaces


The WRONG way to paint
cylinder type surfaces

No comments:

Post a Comment